Open and work with Disk Image
If you have enough space on another drive, it may be a good idea to create a Disk Image for a drive containing deleted files that you want to recover.
Active@ File Recovery can open:
- RAW and RAW-Compressed disk images (Active@ Image format: *.DIM)
- RAW disk images created by third party software (WinHex, etc...)
- Disk Images (RAW format) composed from several chunks
- VMWARE (*.vmdk) and VirtualPC (*.vhd) Disk Images
To open a Disk Image:
- Start Active@ File Recovery.
- To invoke the Open Image dialog, do one of the
- Press Ctrl+O key combination
- In the File menu, choose Open Image...
- Use drop-down listbox at bottom to specify disk image type: Active@ Image, Any RAW image, VMWare or VirtualPC Disk image
- Locate and select disk image file you want to open. Click Open
- Confirm Disk Image Type, Bytes per Sector and chunks, specified in configuration file.
- If there is no configuration file, you can add chunks and change their order manually, using buttons at the right side
- Click OK to complete configuration and read disk image structures.
The opened disk image appears in the Local System Devices list.
You may treat the opened Disk Image node and its content the same way that you treat other device nodes in the list. You may follow the same steps to scan the volume, then search for files and folders to be recovered. Or you can use opened Disk Images as devices for creating RAID Virtual Arrays.
If you've created a raw disk image using other third-party utilities (like copying sectors from WinHex) you are still able to open it! Just choose Any Raw Image disk image type in the Open File standard dialog and you will see all files on the disk. Select the required one.